Goal: This part of the BADGE project aims at developing sustainable writing skills in two directions: firstly, academic writing skills that will prepare students for writing their final-year thesis and, secondly, professional writing skills that will help students to be better equipped for the demands of 21st century workplace writing.
We intend this IO to:
- Foster European citizenship by student collaboration on projects that will focus on comparing the Code of Ethics of European national Technological Chambers.
- Promote ethical reasoning by also exposing student teams from different countries to ethical concerns that arise when changes in technology make uncertain the application of existing codes of ethics.
- Enhance critical thinking by understanding audience needs and genre conventions through genre conversion tasks, that is, converting (parts of) a research article to a popular science article, changing a popular science article to a research abstract or converting a lab report to a research abstract.
- Produce Creative Commons material for use by language instructors at engineering and/or technical departments.
- Produce adaptable and transferable modules that language instructors can modify according to the needs and requirements of their curricula.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate engineering students in HEI, who need to develop their academic writing skills in order to cope with the demands of their curricula.
- Final-year students who are working on their final-year thesis.
- ESP instructors in engineering/technical departments.
Intellectual Output Description
- A: curriculum for a 30 hours course, detailed description of course, its modules and timing, targeted student group, sequences of learning experiences, learning outcomes, evaluation methods and assessment criteria.
- B: teaching materials for both face-to-face classes and online tasks planned in A, developed in modular form to increase their adaptability and transferability potential.
- C: teachers’ resources/manual containing three parts: introduction with general teaching tips, detailed lesson plans, answer keys and ideas for assessment and evaluation.